Re: Yet another wheel/tire question (TR4A)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Yet another wheel/tire question (TR4A)
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 19:38:02 +0000
>I'm sure this has been asked six ways to Sunday before, but...
>I would like to take advantage of TRFs sale on wire wheels, so I am looking at
>replacing my 15 X 4.5 painted wheels.
>Since I work for a tire company, and get a new tire allowance in January, I'd
>like to use a more modern tire.
>My question is what is the maximum width wheel I can use?  Have you actually
>used them on your 4/4A?

>They have the Daytons in 6" for the TR6 - is that too wide?
>I don't know if they have 5" or 5 1/2".

I have two sets of 15 x 6" alloy wheels, both with .37" offset. I run 195/65 x
15s on one set and 205/60 x 15s on the other

When I got the car it was running front spacers to stop the wheels fouling the
upper pivot on the upright. I've tried it without them but it's difficult to
stop the fouling by using less lock...

The offset may be wrong - not sure - and the front tyres do stick out past the
edge of the wheelarch, but the tyres do fit and only foul the arches under
severe provocation

Whatever tyre size you use, a 6" wheel will support it better than a 5" wheel.
I wouldn't say 6" is too wide - but it certainly doesn't look "correct". It
looks more "mean", yes, but with wires the effect may be a little strange

Are the period Cobra Supaslot wheels common in the USA? They look like Wolfrace
slot mags but are subtly different...

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk