RE: Battery Hold downs on Heralds

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Battery Hold downs on Heralds
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:45:41 -0800
Cc: Herald948@aol.com, rdunkley@capecod.net
> Looking to see what everyone is using for a battery hold down on a Herald.
> Original or make shift,  I need something that would do the job
> of holding the
> battery in place.  Not even sure what was used for original
> installation.  My
> car is a 1963 Sports 6, anybody with ideas, I'll take them.

Haven't solved it for my Sports 6 yet, but it looks like my TR3A solution
would work :

Get some aluminum 1/2" angle (ISTR 2' was around $2.50) and two lengths of
10-32 threaded rod, plus two 10-32 wing nuts at the local Home Depot (Lowes,
Menard's, etc.).  Cut the aluminum to length with a hacksaw, leaving room on
either side of the battery for the clamps to line up with the ears on the
car.  Use a file to cut some small flats on the point of the aluminum angle,
where the clamps go, then center punch and drill.  Use a propane torch to
heat one end of the threaded rod red-hot, then bend it with pliers to form a
hook.  Assemble the whole mess, then cut off the excess length of threaded
rod.

Or, call up Canley Classics.  I see
601553 BATTERY CLAMP    #4.10 EACH
618434 BATTERY ROD HERALD/VITESSE #2.30 EACH

which sound like they at least might be the right parts.  Perhaps someone
with a SPC handy can confirm this (mine's at home).

Randall