: TR Choke Cable - Too Loose

To: pdonnel1@san.rr.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: : TR Choke Cable - Too Loose
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:13:20 EST
John,
On my original choke cable there are notches in the metal rod part nearest
the pull knob. The cable rod part is designed to catch on a notch (a spring
loaded ball bearing seats in about 6 notch choices on this rod). To release
choke, you turn the knob a quarter turn and a ridge without notches releases
ball catch on notch to return cable home. My notches are so worn by now I can
barely tell they are there. But - I have Strombergs and the chokes don't pull
the cable back that hard so this setup has worked perfectly without turning
knob since 1974. I just pull it out and then push it in.
I wonder if you have the wrong 'inner cable' without the notches/spring ball
action on the rod?
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

Maybe I've just put up with for so long so I think that Standard Triumph
designed the choke cable that way, but, mine is loose and won't stay out
after pulling on it. The springs at the carbs pull the cable back so I end
up hanging on to it to keep the mixture rich while the engine is cold. I
seem to remember doing this since I first got the car in 1970.
John in San Diego
'67 TR4A IRS, SU Carbs