Piston & Liner Sets

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Piston & Liner Sets
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 17:10:10 -0800 (PST)
Cc: jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie
John,

You can always count on David and I to ring in on this one.

In a nutshell, for your stock sizes, you can get Mahle from BPNW and
probably others, AE or some Indian manufactured sets from Moss.

I've had great luck with BPNW and Moss. I like BPNW because they are
sourcing some alternative suppliers for engine bits and pieces and their
prices are very good.

Having said that, I got 87mm AE-Hepolites from Moss. Very high quality.
Balance from piston to piston was dead-on.  David reports the same from
the Mahles.

I don't know about the ones made in India, but they are very inexpensive
comparatively. I believe somebody on the list used these with no problems
the last time the subject came up. If you're concerned with best quality,
I'd respectfully suggest the AEs or Mahles.

If you need the pistons AND liners, I'm not sure if there is a Mahle
solution, that is, I don't know that they make sleeves too.

David?

You can get larger than 87mm pistons and liners from a variety of UK
suppliers, but they are quite pricy last I checked.

If you have 83mm liners now, you might have them bored and use 86 or 87mm
stock pistons, but it's likely the machining costs would outweigh any
savings on just buying the pistons.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the 83mm originality thing if you can help
it. I think that you'd pay more for 83mm than the 87mm IF you can find
them. You're best bet if completely obsessed would be to find a NOS set.
They'd likely be AEs, and they'd likely be outrageously expensive.

G'luck, John,

-jeffrey