Re: Dolo. choke cable, ordering from Rim Bros

To: William Scherer <scherer_william@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Dolo. choke cable, ordering from Rim Bros
From: "Javier Vidaurre Ch." <vidaurre@rocketmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 03:39:35 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Hello Bill Scherer,

When ordering from Rimmer Bros. specifically ask them
to verify that the item is in stock before they ask
for credit card authorization.  They ask for C.C.
authorization before they check their stock and if
they do not have the part in stock they have already
tied up part of your credit that is now not available
to you until the authorization is removed.  They say
this should be removed automatically after 4-5 days
but I had to file a complaint with my bank and it took
about a month.  If you are ordering more than one item
do not allow for shipment of partial orders, the
dreaded "on backorder".  Their claim that they pay for
all backorder costs is not true if your order has to
go through customs.  If there are charges related to
the customs paperwork, these will have to be done and
paid for twice, once for the original shipment and
again for the backordered item.  You will be paying
for this and not Rimmer.  Also, they may pay and
invoice for the shipping with the first shipment but
not with the backorder, but customs will add an amount
for shipping if there is no invoice for shipping since
they assume that there must be a shipping charge
involved.  This increases the value over which customs
duties are calculated.  My parts were shipped UPS.  On
one of the lists there was a thread about UPS vs.
FEDEX.  The consensus was that FEDEX was superior and
cheaper for international shipping and that UPS was
good for shipping within the USA but a nightmare for
international shipping.

This is what happened to me when I ordered parts which
were shipped to Lima, Peru so some or all of this may
apply to you situation.  Ask a lot of questions before
giving up that C.C. number.

My $0.02 for what it's worth,
Reporting from Peru, Javier Vidaurre