RE: TR2 brake springs, Abutment end

To: "William Scherer" <scherer_william@hotmail.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR2 brake springs, Abutment end
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 21:44:30 -0800
> Awhile ago I ordered two abutment end springs for my Lockheed system rear
> brakes.  In the Moss parts breakdown, page 47, no 23, part
> 181-450.  What I
> got did not look like the picture, which is: hook, small coil, straight
> wire, another small coil, another hook.

That's also what the factory Spare Parts Catalog shows.  The Stanpart number
is 59257.
It's apparently unique to the early TR2 w/9" Lockheed brakes, I couldn't
find it listed anywhere else, including a factory supercession list.
Likewise no luck at TRF, Rimmers, Canley Classics and Moss UK.

> What I got from Moss is:
> hook, one
> long coil, another hook.  It is also about 6 inches long, and
> what I need is
> about 5 inches long. I called Moss about this, a very polite young man
> checked out their stock, & confirmed what is is the catalog does not
> resemble what they have.

For whatever reason, that's the spring for the front brakes, which is indeed
different.

>   So can anyone help me out here, confirm the spring are what I
> think they
> should be, or where I might find a suitable substitute?

I suppose converting to 9" Girling brakes is out of the question ... <g>

Randall