RE: cylinder head retorque

To: clancy36@attbi.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: cylinder head retorque
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 10:21:14 -0500
Hi Dan.

This is one of those questions where the overwhelming response will be YES
(or possibly NO).

Some will say modern head gaskets don't require retorque.
Some will say hot because the fasteners elongate with heat.

I chose to do the retorque because it can't hurt anything.
I chose to do it cold. The shop manual doesn't say warm the engine and
torque the head, so the torque spec is for cold. In fact you can't do this
first time around.

Possibly I'm wrong, but at least it's a well-reasoned wrongness.

I'm at about 3000 miles and no leaks (from the head).

- Hugh Fader