Re: Parts Washing

To: AVALON2455@aol.com, mlang@easystreet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Parts Washing
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 23:02:12 EST
In a message dated 11/11/02 9:46:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
AVALON2455@aol.com writes:

<< .It's
 what the shops use..........when it gets real dirty, take it to a hazardous
 waste center........... >>

To make the cleaner ( Mineral spirits) last longer install a engine oil
filter after the pump.  This will make the cleaner last and last.  My parts
washer saw 10 years of day to day auto repair shop use and I had never made a
wholesale change of the fluid.  The fluid that got carried off with parts and
the odd quart pumped out to clean something really dirty was all I ever did.
Filter changes were made when the flow got low.

A couple of tricks

Try to use a oil filter that does not have a anti drain back valve.  This is
a rubber flap that can be seen through the circle of holes on the base.  (
This is the inlet side) These valves tend to restrict flow since the solvent
pump is a low pressure unit.  The rubber valve can be punctured and removed
with a screwdriver.

Use a Chrysler/Ford remote oil filter base.  There are many filters of all
sizes that use this thread.

Flea markets are a good source for filters, otherwise purchase a cheapo store
brand filter.

Harold