Re: Parts Washing

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Parts Washing
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:29:39 -0700
I use Kleen Parts ( stock #032 ) citrus based solvent made by Kleen-Flo
it comes in a gallon jug for around $20.00 the packaging lists it as a
carburator and metal parts cleaner I bought it at a local auto parts
shop the parts man suggested using Simple Green as a cheaper
alliterative but hate the smell of the stuff. I was told to  mix Kleen
Parts 3 parts water 1 part solvent, so I used 1/2 a gallon solvent and
topped up my 3 gallon parts washer with water (it uses 1.5 gallons of
solution). It  works as good or better than mineral spirits or varsol at
removing grease and dirt, as a bonus your shop will smell like some one
just pealed a case of oranges when you use the stuff. Now there is a
down side to this stuff, it removes paint on anything that is left to
soak for any length of time this includes the paint inside the tub of
the parts washer. I wouldn't recommend cleaning any electrical parts
that may have electrical varnish or conformal coatings on them as this
solvent may remove the coatings. This stuff cleaned 40 year old sludge
out of valve covers and oil pans with no problems and did no harm to my
SU's or Webers.
Home Depot sells a citrus based industrial cleaner by the gallon it
seems to be the same stuff as Kleen Parts for a few dollars less. I used
it to pre treat all the under carriage on my Fiat before painting and
rebuilding. I used it straight up and it lifted all the old paint,
grease, dirt, and even most of the old under coating before I pressure
washed it off.
I like the idea some one mentioned of an inline oil filter I'm going to
add that to my tank.
One thing to consider even if you are using a bio-degradable solvent
like I am you should still dispose of it at a hazardous waste center as
what you are cleaning off probably isn't bio-degradable.
The advantage of the citrus solvent for me is my wife doesn't complain
about the smell coming from the attached garage and it is probably
better for my health as well.

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Fiat Cabriolet