TR4 speedo: de-jumpification report any abuse to abuse@bizland-inc.com

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 speedo: de-jumpification report any abuse to abuse@bizland-inc.com
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:04:51 -0700
My incredibly rare and valuable early TR4 overdrive
speedometer has been jumping wildly for a while (since
I've owned the car). I'd removed the cable once to find
it spinning reasonably freely, and cleaned the cable and
speedo according to a British Car magazine article with
slight improvement.

On the drive up to Morrison to pick up a permit to cut
a Christmas tree from the national forest, for some
reason I decided to troubleshoot the speedo as I went.
As I slowly unscrewed the speedo cable, it slowly
reduced it's jumping. I stopped unscrewing when it
stopped jumping -- though it still reads 10% high. I'm
sure completely unscrewing the cable would eliminate
any high reading too. <g>

I think this means the cable is a slight bit too long? Or
that I shouldn't tighten the speedo cable all the way?

--
PS the PO had the speedo rebuilt and replaced the
cable himself. Must have been him, the rascal, as he's

PPS on the highway I saw a white big Healey also top
down on the brisk morning drive. He did NOT have a
Christmas tree tied to the boot.

PPPS <tongueincheek>it's possible that my speedo
doesn't actually read high, but that instead my "short 4"
is actually going faster than it feels. The reduced drag
from the short bubble would explain that, though it doesn't
explain all the cars passing me.</tongueincheek>

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO