TR2-4A Water Pump Rebuilding

To: "TriumphTeam" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR2-4A Water Pump Rebuilding
From: "Mark Meany" <mark@basecamp.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:55:50 -0500
Well, after a six month hiatus, I'm back at restoring my '65 4A again.

I've got a couple of older pumps with the grease fitting that I thought I'd
take apart in hopes of yielding a pair a good bearings with an eye on
totally refurbishing one of 'em. A few of you were kind enough to send me
some pertinent articles awhile back. I didn't get far. How does one get the
blessed impeller off? I tried applying a clam shell style bearing splitter
between the housing and the impeller just snug enough to grab but not so
tight as to move the bearing pack, & pressing on the shaft at the back of
the impeller. The splitter was resting on two rails with the housing
floating free. After 5 tons of pressure, all I succeeded in doing was
distorting the impeller. I'd even ground the back face of the impeller/shaft
union, flush, in case the shaft had been peened over. Am I p*ssin' into the
wind here?

Regards,

Mark Meany
Keene, NH