TR6 original radio lighting was eBay values

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 original radio lighting was eBay values
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:14:58 -0800 (PST)
> >Speaking of original radios, I have this exact one in my 74 TR6. One
> question to the list, I noticed in the auction it listed the display having
> a blue light. My radio does not light up other then the orange stereo
> light. I noticed there is an extra wire coming out of the back of the radio
> that is not connected. Could this be for the light? The wires currently
> connected are. Power, right and left speaker. I seem to recall the wire
> that is not connected as being a non-fused wire and red in color. I think
> it grounds through the center support, as there is no extra ground wire.
> Any one know what this extra wire is for and where it connects?

The color of the wire is your best clue, since Lucas, despite
its many faults, was pretty strict about adhering to their
color code. You can find it here:

  http://bosphorus.dimebank.com/tech/LucasColours.html

which will tell you that a red wire with no tracer is the
main feed to all circuits mastered by "sidelamp" switch -
which includes the dash lighting.

You could hook it up to any red wire in the system. If you hook
it to the red/white wire that comes off the rheostat (or
is attached to any of the other dash lights), you'll get dimming, too.

Assuming the bulb isn't burned out :-)