Torque, Best Wrkshp Manual ?

To: John Kipping <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Subject: Torque, Best Wrkshp Manual ?
From: "Javier Vidaurre Ch." <vidaurre@rocketmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 05:13:12 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Herald Triumph <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hello John K.,

Thanks for your reply.  Though the values you state
are a bit over the Bentley Manual for the Herald they
would probably do little harm in that aplication: disc
to hub.

Questions:

What dangers are there in over torqueing aside from
stripping the threads and warping the parts?  Is an
over torqued bolt more likely to break in use?  Is it
weaker being over torqued?

When torqueing, aside from tightening evenly all the
bolts (i.e. jumping to the nut opposite instead of the
one adjacent), I assume (= making an ASS out of U and
ME, as a rule. I do not mean you Mr. K.) one should
build up to the final torque by tigthening in steps.
Correct?  Is 10 ft/lbs per step OK?  15 ft/lbs?

Which workshop manual do you prefer:
1. Bentley
2. BMC Factory
3. Haynes
Am I opening up an old thread/wound with this one?
I have the Haynes and am thinking of getting the BMC
Factory Workshop Manual.

Learning to torque properly, Javier Vidaurre