Re: Torque, Best Wrkshp Manual ?

To: vidaurre@rocketmail.com ("Javier Vidaurre Ch."), johnkipping@inet.net.nz (John Kipping)
Subject: Re: Torque, Best Wrkshp Manual ?
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:55:02 -0500
Cc: triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com (Herald Triumph), triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumph)
In a message dated 11/20/2002 8:13:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Javier
Vidaurre Ch." <vidaurre@rocketmail.com> writes:

>Which workshop manual do you prefer:
>1. Bentley
>2. BMC Factory
>3. Haynes
>Am I opening up an old thread/wound with this one?
>I have the Haynes and am thinking of getting the BMC
>Factory Workshop Manual.

Javier, you'll be better off with a Triumph (Leyland/Triumph)  or British
Leyland manual. A BMC manual is likely only to cover a Sprite, Midget or Morris
Minor. :-)

Seriously, I've survived for 30 years on the Official Workshop Manual, and I've
literally almost "worn it out" from steady use. Bentley manuals are basically
the same. As Bill pointed out, though, some of those are reproduced with two
"original" pages reduced to fit each "reproduced" page.

Bill also mentioned finding an original in the vinyl-covered ring binder.
Again, I second that notion...if you can find an original. In your case, you'll
want to make sure it's a "Third Issue" (where applicable) to cover some
13/60-specific details.

There are also (Brooklands?) reprints of the original factory manuals. If so
inclined, you could buy one of those, cut the binding and drill it for a ring
binder, even adding section dividers "as original" to make it more useful.

Oh, I've also got Haynes, Autopress, Intereurope and most every other variant
"aftermarket" shop manual. Those are all nice to carry with you (a lot less
bulk) for quick reference, but I still rely primarily on the Factory Manual.

--Andy Mace