GT6 Bonnet rust repair - looking for advice

To: "Triumph List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 Bonnet rust repair - looking for advice
From: "Heglund, Davis (MN17)" <davis.heglund@honeywell.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:16:17 -0600
Hi, all.  Been a "lurker" for quite a while. Looking for some input on how
to handle rusty metal.  Here's the deal - I have a '69 GT6+ with three
bonnets.  Original one not rusty, but badly bent and not repairable.  A Mk1
bonnet (that I'm currently using) that's only a little bent up with some
surface rust that I treated and spray-canned over. Looks awful, but works.
And, another + bonnet that is straight and just about dent-free, only a
little Bondo in select spots.  I want to use this last one, but it's HEAVILY
surface rusted - PO sanded it down and didn't prime it, then left it sit for
years (#@!!&*#).
Questions:
Has anyone had an entire bonnet dipped to neutralize rust?
Does it remove paint and Bondo, or does that have to come off first?
Can it be sanded after, or does that remove the treatment, exposing rust
underneath?
Does it work well?
Do they dip it in chromate or primer immediately after?
How about sandblasting?
Does POR15 work for external body surfaces?  I've used Extend with mixed
results - seems to bubble up after a while.

I'm drawn to the dipping process because of the inaccessible areas under the
wings. Also, it should be quick. I'd appreciate any input from the
collective  (Resistance Is Futile, don't ya know).  I'd also appreciate any
suggestions about where to go in the Twin Cities area.
TIA.   Dave Heglund   '69 GT6 "The Mistress"