RE: Tranny Question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tranny Question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 08:22:24 -0800
> Personally I wouldn't put it in a car without having a peek at
> the layshaft,
> which requires partial disassembly, but not too complicated (and
> no special tools required).

Oops, that's not quite accurate.  You'll need a dummy layshaft, which I
suppose counts as a special tool.  But they're readily (and cheaply)
available at the local hardware store ... ask for 3/4" (or 19mm) plain rod.
After removing the rear extension, the small front plate and the keeper for
the layshaft, use the dummy shaft to carefully push out the layshaft.  The
dummy will hold the bearings, etc. in place while you inspect the layshaft.
Reassembly is, as they say, the reverse <g>

Randall