RE: Tranny Question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tranny Question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 23:21:57 -0800
> I was given a TR4A Trany that looks pretty good.  Is there a way
> you can tell
> if it is in good shape by pulling the cover off, without pulling it
> completely apart. All the gears look OK no chips.

One good check is to push the brass synchro rings as far towards their
respective gear as you can, then measure the clearance between the ring and
gear.  ISTR .025" is about the minimum for a functioning synchro, new should
be .035" or more.  Check all 4 rings, but 2nd gear is usually worst.

Personally I wouldn't put it in a car without having a peek at the layshaft,
which requires partial disassembly, but not too complicated (and no special
tools required).

Randall