Re: Need Ebay knowledge - Long

To: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Need Ebay knowledge - Long
From: "M Brooks" <mike@gsta.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:29:55 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mark,

Your absolutely right about having the buy it now price the same as the
reserve or even the starting bid. There is a form of auction that ebay
started using very recently that allows you to simply list an item at a
certain price and that's it. They also allow you to list more than one of
the same thing so the auction stays up until they're all sold or the auction
time runs out. Kind of like a "Dutch Auction" with a set price. This works
great for low priced stuff but it doesn't seem to be very effective for the
higher ticket items at least in my experience with it.

At the risk of sounding like a stockholder (I'm not), Ebay has become a
worldwide online marketplace, not simply an online auction house. In alot of
ways it's a huge pain but that is far outweighed by it's role in making a
diverse range of products (car stuff especially ;-) available to everyone
with a modem. Love it or hate it - it's really changed how you can go about
amassing parts for a restoration project almost in the same way that email
forums like this one have made a huge knowledgebase of Triumph know-how
readilly available to everyone.

~Mike