Re: flywheel lightening

To: jlumia@ball.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: flywheel lightening
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 20:33:22 EST
In a message dated 11/26/02 8:02:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, jlumia@ball.com
writes:

<< My engine rebuilder wont touch it due to liability concerns, in fact he
wont even recommend anyone.

 John Lumia - 76 TR6 >>

Is this rebuilder a race engine shop or a "people motor" shop?  Race shops
are more willing to do this kind of stuff, light flywheels are pretty common
to them.

I've had great success using a disc brake lathe and some caution. ( non TR)
My first step is to measure and draw a section of the flywheel then draw in
the cuts.  The real trick is to avoid sharp internal corners, this is what
causes metal failure.   Too little thickness is a no no too.

Most of the weight is removed from the edges, usually flywheels have a
obvious ring of metal to cut down.  Removal of this ring is usually enough
for street use.     Be sure to allow enough of a ledge to locate the ring
gear.

Harold