RE: Potential Brake Failure Warning

Subject: RE: Potential Brake Failure Warning
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:08:55 -0800
Cc: <BritishCars@autox.team.net>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Quoth Sam Gentry

> This switch looks exactly like the three terminal oil pressure
> switch used
> on many Triumphs, including my 73 GT6 and one of my Spits (don't remember
> which).

That was my thought too, that someone had mixed up an oil pressure switch
and a brake light switch.  Although functionally interchangeable, the brake
switch must withstand a much higher pressure.

Scott, any idea what the third terminal is used for ?  I'm curious, as I've
never seen a 3-terminal brake light switch.

FWIW the real leak isn't where the terminal penetrates the plastic, but
rather inside at the steel diaphragm between the brake fluid and the switch.

Randall