Ignition coil goes BOOM!!! Why?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition coil goes BOOM!!! Why?
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 20:07:28 -0800
My new (less than 1 year old) Lucas Sport Coil on my '64 TR4 literally blew
up the other day.  It made a load backfire noise as the top blew right off,
leaving a nice shiney film of coil oil all over my engine compartment.

The coil is mounted in the standard position, on the side of the block next
to the distributer.  I was stuck in stop and go traffic for ten minutes or
so.  The temperture gauge was showing a little warmer than normal.

What would make the coil explode?

I replaced it with an old coil from the garage and the car runs fine.  In
fact, I think it runs better now with the old coil.

Anyone?