RE: Ignition coil goes BOOM!!! Why?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ignition coil goes BOOM!!! Why?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:19:38 -0800
> > >My new (less than 1 year old) Lucas Sport Coil on my '64 TR4
> literally blew
> >>up the other day.  It made a load backfire noise as the top
> blew right off,
> > >leaving a nice shiney film of coil oil all over my engine compartment.
>

> Is this what happens if you connect the coil with the polarity reversed?

Nah, running the coil with the connections reversed won't damage anything,
it just makes the engine not run as well as it might otherwise.  I know
people that have run their cars this way for years.

As I already wrote Paul off-list, the problem may have been lack of a
required ballast resistor (TR4s did not originally have external ballasts,
but the Lucas Sports coil is available in both configurations); or simply a
manufacturing defect (internal short, overfilled with oil) that didn't show
up until now.

Randall