Re: TR5 on Ebay

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR5 on Ebay
From: BigOldWumper@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:38:02 EDT
I do remember the TR5 being listed by Triumphs Only about 6 months back; same
color as this one too if my memory serves me. Could very well be the same
one.

When I first got my '4A, I took it into Triumphs Only to get it up and
running again, as I had never done any mechanical work myself before and the
car had
been sitting in a garage unmoved for 20 years plus. $6,500 later, I got a car
back with new rubber brake hoses and a new (err semi-new) battery. After
about 2 months and 3 breakdowns in the middle of nowhere (thank God for AAA), I
decided to bite the bullet and try to figure out how to do some mechanical work
myself. All this revealed was that the carbs I had been charged to have
'rebuilt' hadn't been touched, and still had 30 year old gaskets on them,
($100's in
labor right there, considering it cost $40 just for the labor to take out the
tachometer--which lasted a week). The more I take apart the more parts I find
I was charged for that are 30+ years old. Even the small things--radiator
cap, thermostat, water pump (which failed 6 months later, for $99 you think
they'd replace the 1960's gasket instead of reusing it--obviously, the pump was
never replaced), $400 for "new" front calipers that are obviously used parts--I
have no problem with used parts, but not for "new" prices, "new" fuel tank
float--that doesnt work and after removal is obviously the original part,
distributor cap, cleaing of the fuel tank--err, more like add rust chips, boil
out
radiator, obviously not done, installation of "stainless steel" exhaust system,
charged as both a sublet AND an in shop repair for labor costs (the system is
rusting in my backyard as we speak, by the way, can we say "mild steel" for the
price of stainless?), and, worst of all, judging by the amount of sludge and
the condition of the oil (with only about 100 miles on the car since it was
'changed') I'd say that not even the OIL was changed, and if it was, the
condition of the oil filter certainly didn't convince me otherwise, and the
fact that
gasket sealant they used to seal the valve cover gasket covered the entire
valve train, including the pushrods/oil holes, tappets, cam, all the way down
the oil pick up in the pan (I think you're supposed to let it cure first
before running the car), not to mention the tail light that had been smashed
while
in the shop and the once complete toolkit that resided in the trunk that
mysteriously disappeared.

And while the above rant may seem off topic, needless to say, I would not be
at ALL surprised if this is the SAME TR5 that was listed a few months back by
Triumphs Only that turned out to be a 250, with some second hand TR6 PI
components and badges. Definitely the first and last time I would ever deal
with
Triumphs Only.