Re: Toyota caliper upgrade

To: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Toyota caliper upgrade
From: Bob Bownes <bownes@seiri.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:57:54 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Nicholas Froome wrote:

> I fail to see how a caliper swop will improve the brakes on a TR4. If the
>disc is the same, the only gain I can see would be if they offer a greater pad
>area

larger pad/piston area == better braking (when matched with
corresponding change in MC size of course)
Larger disk, even better.

Changing from the original Spit brakes to the GT6 MK III brakes and dual
Tilton MC's in my Spit made a world of difference.

> The only change I am going to make is to split the front & rear
> circuits with twin master cylinders to avoid total brake loss in the event of
>hydraulic failure

Beware the geometry when you do this. If you don't set it up right,
loose one MC (or the pushrod to one MC) you loose all breaking as the
pedal goes to the floor and the balance bar just pivots. Been there, got
the scuff on top of my helmet from subsequent rollover.

> But just changing calipers? Why would that be an upgrade?

See above.