Re: some thoughts on brake balance (long)

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com ("Randall Young"), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: some thoughts on brake balance (long)
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:02:01 -0400
In a message dated 10/1/2003 2:39:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

> Another point worth considering during this topic : brake balance depends on
> a great many variables, some of which are different car to car and some of
> which can even vary from one brake application to the next.  Without an
> active proportioning valve, setting the balance is always a compromise.

Agreed. Something as simple as one tire with significantly different pressure
than the others, or one corner with a slightly dragging shoe or pad that might
result in heat-related fade, or one side's wheels on loose gravel on the
shoulder while those on the other side are on concrete or asphalt...

> Also, in general, I believe car makers feel that having the bias towards the
> front wheels locking first is safer.  Although you lose directional control,
> the car still tends to stop in a straight line.  With the rears locked, it's
> much more apt to spin out.

Agree again. Perhaps this was part of the reasoning behind, for example, Ford's
use of rear-wheel-only ABS systems on first-generation Explorers (and maybe
Rangers and other 4WD trucks; I don't know)?

--Andy Mace, with good old drum brakes on all four corners of the Herald. ;-)