Forward: TR8 rusty gas tank

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Forward: TR8 rusty gas tank
From: <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 03:01:51 -0600
For some reason this was sent to me rather than triumphs@autox.team.net.
If your internet access is web-capable, check out

  http://www.team.net/posting.html

mjb.
----

     Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 01:08:05 -0700
     From: "Wayne" <wayne_s@lycos.com>
     Subject: TR8 rusty gas tank

Hi all,

Just joined this list a couple days ago.  My name is Wayne Swinth,
1980 TR8.  I used to be on the TR7/8 list four years ago and couldn't
find that list when I searched the web.  Does anyone know if it still
exists?  I just saw a couple of messages on this list from 7&8 owners,
so maybe not?

Well after about five years of disuse, I am trying to get the TR8
running again.  Previously the car would suddenly lose all pwer while
driving-engine would still be running, but would have no power at all.
Then car would suddenly have full power again. Took to a shop and they
said during no power the car was running very lean (they probed baby's
tail pipe).  First they said intake man. gasket, checked, gasket OK;
fuel pump, checked, pump OK; then said must be carbs we will rebuild
for $900.  I drove car home.  Four and a half years later and I have
the job done!  Yeah I can be lazy.  While installing shiny rebuilt
carbs, I figured might as well replace fuel filter.  Cut open old
filter and found large flakes of rust.  Checked gas tank-it's not
leaking, but has large wet spot on bottom.  From memory of past TR7/8
list this means I need to fix tank-I don't think I can get a new one.
Question: will the new fuel filter protect the newly rebuilt carbs and
can I try to fire her up now and attempt a tune (which I have never
done before) or should I take care of the fuel tank first?

Thanks-

Wayne