58 TR3A (Girling 10" brakes)

To: "INTERNET:Popnglo@aol.com" <Popnglo@aol.com>
Subject: 58 TR3A (Girling 10" brakes)
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:33:06 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h96LZNF8019922
Message text written by INTERNET:Popnglo@aol.com
>Recently I've noticed that the rear brakes have had a habit of binding up,

particularly the left rear. This seems most evident when little pressure is

applied, like when rolling slowly to a stop. In this case it will literally
lock
up.
<

Ed, I had this problem and I attributed it to leaky wheel cylinders.  I
replaced the cylinders and had the shoes relined and all is well with the
world now.

When Brake fluid leaks out onto the shoes the linings get contaminated and
the brakes get grabby.  This helps with the operation of the parking brake
but is not good for driving.  It eventually got so bad that any application
of the brakes would cause the rear brake to lock up until the car came to a
halt - even if I released the brake.  I tried soaking the shoes in acetone
and also in water in an attempt to remove the brake fluid from the linings
but nothing worked.  The proper solution is new linings and fix any leaks.

10" shoes are quite rare and finding a replacement set is tough.  But you
should be able to find a local guy who re-lines brake shoes for industrial
applications and will reline yours.  I paid $12 a shoe which is quite
reasonable IMO.

So, pull your drums and check for wetness.

Dave
57 TR3