RE: Grinding into Reverse

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Grinding into Reverse
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 21:38:44 -0700
> Tranny troubles appear.  After starting the car from cold, I get major
> grinding when I try to put it into reverse gear.  Sometimes
> waiting for things to
> spin down works, sometimes it doesn't.  Occasionally, I have to
> cut the engine,
> put it into reverse, depress the clutch, start it, then ease out
> the clutch
> and back up as usual.  Seems like the problem decreases after the
> car has been
> running a bit.
>
> Any idea what's up?

No, but some things to think about :

When you release the clutch, does it engage with the pedal near the floor ?
If so, you may have clutch linkage issues (when was the last time it was
adjusted ?) or even the dreaded broken taper pin.  Does pumping up the
clutch pedal help ?

Of course, some grinding is normal if you started it with your foot off the
clutch then just depressed the clutch and tried to shift directly into
reverse.  I usually 'touch' 2nd gear to stop the input shaft from spinning
before trying for reverse.

If the clutch engagement is normal, then you may have a bad pilot bearing in
the end of the crank, or the clutch plate may be rusted/binding on the input
shaft.  I've also heard that leaving out the pins between the engine and
bellhousing can cause trouble, as without them, over time the transmission
will slip out of alignment with the crankshaft.

Hope this helps
Randall