Crank seal numbers.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Crank seal numbers.
From: John Gillis <jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:42:58 +0100
Hello to all.
I recently bought a NOS rear crank seal off E-Bay for my TR2 motor
rebuild, I have finally decided to go the original sealing route.
Knowing and finding out by bitter experience I asked before I bid if
there were matching numbers on each half of the seal, I was told yes,
and so I bought the said item. When it arrived it did indeed have
matching numbers, but these did not resemble the format or "style" of
my original seal or indeed a second hand spare I picked up some time
back. Both of these have a letter followed by two numbers, e.g C37.
The one I received has three numbers and in a smaller type face. It
is a NOS TR4 item and I am hoping this is the reason for the
difference, could someone clarify for me please, I am also presuming
a TR4 seal will work on a TR2 engine?
--
John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)

Phones: 6081149 or 6081137 mobile: 086 1556589