RE: TR3 Heater Valve

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Heater Valve
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:03:05 -0700
> Said valve is leaking from around the valve stem while the valve is
> closed.
>
> 1.  Can these things be opened up and the packing or whatever renewed?
> I put the valve on about 20 years ago and cannot remember if it was a
> used part or a repro but it looks as original and there appear to be
> multiple hex fittings.

Yes, the packing can be renewed.  Ask for valve stem packing at the local
hardware store, they probably have it (my Home Depot carries it).  Gore-tex
is best (but they probably won't have that), I'm not sure if the
Teflon-coated string is better than graphite coated or not.  However if the
stem is badly worn, you may have to replace it (or have a friendly machinist
true up the section of shaft that contacts the packing).

But first, you might try just snugging up the packing nut a bit.  It will be
the smallest hex, nearest the shaft.  Tighten it in small stages, as you're
trying to strike a balance between not leaking, and being able to turn the
valve without breaking the wheel.

> 2.  Are the replacements from Vicky Brit as original (vs looking like
> something from Ace Hardware)?

Sorry, no idea.  But TRF has them listed for $35 and I'll bet theirs looks
nice.

Randall