TR3 Fuel pump. Go electric like Dylan?

To: "Jim Lee" <sasjzl@netzero.com>
Subject: TR3 Fuel pump. Go electric like Dylan?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:00:17 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h9DD2sc0013200
Message text written by "Jim Lee"
>This is my first post so go easy on me.   I am just getting back into
jousting
about on my black beauty TR3 and am deciding whether to go electric, like
Bobby Dylan circa '65,  now that it seems to be time for a new fuel pump.

My 1959 TR3 fuel pump has finally given up the ghost and I am wondering
what
the pro's and cons are of putting in a new fangled electric one.  I see a
<

What?!! And give up the harmonica?!!

I have been told that the new gasoline formlations cause the older
diaghrams to loose their flexibility and they become so stiff that they no
longer pump.  I am inclined to agreee with this as it has happened to my
TR3 and my TR6.  On my TR6 I installed an electric pump.  They are cheap
(cheap enough to carry a spare in the trunk) and reasonably reliable and
you can get replacements at ANY car parts store.  And since I tossed
originality out the window years ago on that car it makes the most sense.
I got an impact switch from a Ford Probe at the wrecking yard for about $15
and I'm good to go.

I rebuilt the original pump on the TR3 because I have this silly idea of
keeping the TR3 as near to original as possible (or practical) - mainly as
a personal challange.  But that is the apeal of this car - the
anachronistic nature of it all; no roll-up windows, no outside door
handles, two position keyswitch and a push button for the starter, positive
ground, hand crank starting capabilities, buckboard ride, all kinds of neat
features the auto industries have forgotten about over the years.

Either one works well enough, I'd say the choice is based on your
predilection towards originality.

Cheers

Dave