RE: TR3 Cam Bearing Holes

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Cam Bearing Holes
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:10:53 -0700
>      Got a question: I am putting in my cam in my TR3A engine. I put new
> MOSS washers on the cam bearing setscrews. When I put in the cam
> and tighten
> down on the setscrew, I can feel the cam  binding. I know the
> hole is clear
> for the setscrew, I checked that by pushing an ice pick through
> the hole.

My guess would be that the holes aren't lined up exactly right; close enough
for your ice pick to go through but off enough that the setscrew is catching
on the edge of the insert.  If you take out the cam and shine a strong light
down the cam bore, you should be able to look down the screw hole and see if
the bearing hole is centered or not.  Are you sure you have the right screws
?

> There are three holes in the bearing. One for setscrew, one for
> oil gallery, but what would the third one be for? Did they get my bearings
> in wrong at the machine shop?

The three inserts are all the same, but the third hole is used only in the
rearmost position, where it allows oil to feed upwards to the head and
ultimately the rocker shaft.  Be sure to check it, as it's possible to have
the other two holes aligned and the rocker feed hole blocked.

Randall