TR3 Cam Bearing Holes

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Cam Bearing Holes
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@qnet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:48:26 -0700
Cc: <lzaninovich@bak.rr.com>
     Got a question: I am putting in my cam in my TR3A engine. I put new
MOSS washers on the cam bearing setscrews. When I put in the cam and tighten
down on the setscrew, I can feel the cam  binding. I know the hole is clear
for the setscrew, I checked that by pushing an ice pick through the hole. I
know that the bearing holes to the oil galleries is clear. I can squirt
WD-40 in the oil gallery holes and see it going into the bearings.
     Could the MOSS washers not be thick enough?
     Am I cranking down too hard? They are still pretty loose when it starts
to bind.
     Should I make new washers or try shimming the old ones?
     The rear setscrew tightens down fine. It is the front two that are
questionable. I know that the middle bearing has the holes right, because I
can feel the setscrew hole and the WD-40 flows through the oil gallery.
     I am not so sure about the first bearing. With the engine upside down
on the stand, I can look in and see a hole that doesn't line up with
anything. There are three holes in the bearing. One for setscrew, one for
oil gallery, but what would the third one be for? Did they get my bearings
in wrong at the machine shop?
     Help!
     TIA,

     Bill Brewer