Re: TR4 Burning Oil

To: "INTERNET:ZoboHerald@aol.com" <ZoboHerald@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Burning Oil
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:19:04 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, gprtech@frontiernet.net, vafred@erols.com 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h9ECOe5h011951
Message text written by INTERNET:ZoboHerald@aol.com
>What was really fun, though, was pulling out the offending piston and
watching 7 -- count 'em SEVEN -- pieces of ring fall out around the top of
the
block
as the piston came out. It was even more fun as the piston continued to
come
out...and there was no second ring at all. Turned out all four cylinders
were
like that; apparently that was supposed to have been an old race engine
builder's trick.<

Back when I was in college I drove an MGB that used a lot of oil.  Over
time it kept getting worse.  I eventually decided to do something about it.
 When I pulled one piston the second and third rings were broken.  The top
ring, however, was gone altogether.  And not because the engine was
assembled without it.  No, you could see the broken part of the piston
where the pieces of the top ring had exited.  There was none left.  None.
Nada. Nicht.  Rien!

And to top that off, When I pulled the other pistons I found that there
were two different types of pistons.  You see, MG used two different types
of pistons over the years, one called the long skirt and the other is
called the short skirt.  I had two of each.

The DPO is not a recent phenomenon, this was back in 1974.

Dave