Major overheating puzzle

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Major overheating puzzle
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:25:33 -0700
I have been going around in circles on this problem and am becoming
convinced that I am missing something obvious.
It is with a tractor but I'm going to claim LBC content as it is a Vanguard
derivative...and the folks on the tractor lists are less scientific than
you guys...
1. Needed timing chain. Took great care to line up very faint marks on
crank and cam gears, ensuring chain was tight on the side that is under
tension when doing so.
2. Set valve stem gaps.
3. Found TDC and installed distributor with rotor pointing at cylinder #1.
4. After flushing some old gas through, started up and ran well, but
overheated severely, quickly.
5. Thoroughly flushed cooling system; it needed it.
6. Checked thermostat; it's fine.
7. Started again, still overheats - like in three or four minutes.
8. Played with ignition timing, retarding and advancing so now I don't know
where it is. There is no timing mark.
9. Got to be evening and tried again; noticed exhaust manifold and muffler
glowing red; shut it off.
11. Thought it might be an air leak in the intake, so took off manifold,
looked fairly OK but cleaned mating surfaces thoroughly and replaced gaskets.
12. Still no luck.

Now, I have always thought too hot would be from timing too far advanced,
but then I was reading where overheating can be caused by timing too far
retarded as fuel burns late i.e. in the exhaust manifold. but if I advance
it to try to fix that, it seems to run far too fast

Any thoughts?
Confused in Ontario
---