Re: got driveshaft ?

To: vze34wdb@verizon.net
Subject: Re: got driveshaft ?
From: Percybal@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:02:18 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/17/2003 3:01:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
vze34wdb@verizon.net writes:

> You want another driveshaft?  Really?  Not just new u-joints and a
> rebalance?
>
> --
> Martin Secrest
> GT6, TR6
> Arlington, VA
>
> larry wrote:
>
> > i believe i need a driveshaft for my 80 tr7.  at first i noticed a kind of
> > crunch crunch crunch when i would leave a standing stop in the rear.  now
> as i
> > drive the car, shifter mostly, vibrates.  it is especially vibrates above
> > 25mph.  so much so i am afraid to drive it.  those of you with experience
> > agree ?  anybody got a driveshaft they would like to sell and ship to
> colorado
> > ?  thanks, larry

 Hello Larry. Has the crunch, crunch, crunch noise disappeared
 and now been replaced by a vibrating shifter? Interesting problem.
 I believe you have a 5 speed gearbox. There are 6 (or perhaps
 more...I don't remember as it has been years since I laboured
 over one) rubber hat bushings located on the remote shifter.
 If these bushings perish, your shifter will vibrate. You might also
 find by lifting the car the bottom rear of the remote shifter is
 resting on the driveshaft. Your bushings are likely dust if your
 driveshaft at the transmission shifter end has a narrow shiny,
 clean band of metal exposed on it. This would be caused by the
 remote shifter resting on it due to non existent bushings. The
 bushings are much cheaper than a driveshaft, however they are
 perhaps can be a bit fiddly to install. Check there fist before moving
 on to a new driveshaft.

 Good Luck! Let us know how you make out.

 Best Regards,

 Percy Ballentine