RE: '77 Spitfire fuel gauge pblm

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Harve B Thorn" <maya2blue@juno.com>
Subject: RE: '77 Spitfire fuel gauge pblm
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:24:20 -0700
> I am perplexed by a fluctuating  fuel gauge.  (reads okay sometimes, way
> off othertimes)

When it's off, is it consistently off in one direction or the other ?

> I have replaced the actual gauge and the sending unit.  Same deal.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions.

Well, that would seem to leave either the voltage stabilizer (does your temp
gauge behave when the fuel gauge doesn't ?), wiring from the stabilizer to
the gauge, or the wiring from the gauge to the sender.  I'm not sure how the
sender is grounded on a Spit, but presumably you made sure it was tight and
clean when you changed the sender.

If one of the wires is broken internally or has a bad connection, I would
expect the gauge to go to empty when it misbehaves.  If there is a short to
ground in the wire between the gauge and the sender, I would expect the
gauge to go to full.  A short to ground in the wire from the stabilizer to
the gauge should result in a blown fuse, but might possibly just make both
of the gauges read low.

Oh, a bad ground to the voltage stabilizer will cause both gauges to read
high.

Hope this helps
Randall