'77 Spitfire fuel gauge pblm

To: Harve B Thorn <maya2blue@juno.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net, spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com, triumphs@autox.team.net 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h9K1qXo0010255
Subject: '77 Spitfire fuel gauge pblm
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:51:02 -0400
Message text written by Harve B Thorn
>I am perplexed by a fluctuating  fuel gauge.  (reads okay sometimes, way
off othertimes)

I  have used the (in)famous dip stick method to verify "full,"
"half-full," and "almost empty."

It's a '77  1500 Spitfire.  All other electrics apparently okay.

I have replaced the actual gauge and the sending unit.  Same deal.
<

Harve, when it reads off does it read high or low?  If it reads high, what
does the temp gauge do at that time?  If both the fuel and temp gauges read
high look at the voltage stabilizer.  This device provides a regulated 10
volts to teh gauges so they will not fluctuate with changing battery
voltage.  I'm not sure where it is mounted on a Spitfire but look behind
the gauge cluster.

If it is reading low, check the sender connections, as Jim suggested.  Also
make sure it is well grounded,

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6