TR-6 Alternator

To: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Subject: TR-6 Alternator
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:40:04 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net h9KMeMLb027813
Message text written by Scott Tilton
>The TR6 has started doing what my TR4 was doing about a year ago.

For no apparent reason what so ever, the ammeter will suddenly in the
middle of
a drive decide to swing way up to the positive side of the ammeter.

It didn't quite PEG itself like the TR4 would do . . . but it is way up
there,
and enough to make one uncomfortable.
<

Check the small brown wire that plugs into the back of the alternator.  The
other end connects to (I think) the starter solenoid where the battery
cable attaches.  If this wire is intermittent you will see the symptoms you
are experiencing.

Check the push on connection for corrosion and for a tight fit.  If the
female connector has opened up it will not clamp the terminal as tightly as
it should and you will get an intermittent connection.  Check the other
end.  The heat from the eshaust manifold will cause the insulation to get
hard and crack away and then the wire can corrode, get brittle and get
loose in the crimped on ring terminal.  Or the wire itself may have a
number of broken strands.  Make sure the nut on the solenoid is tight.

Good luck

Dave Massey
71 TR6