Winter driving

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Winter driving
From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault@bu.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:51:34 -0400
I started driving Triumphs while in college in 1968.  I had a 58 TR 3.
Many's the day that I started other cars with the Triumph.  It always
started.  I drove it on winter roads.  I kept some sand in a bucket in
the back, behind the passenger seat but rarely needed it.  In 1971 a
brand new GT 6+ replaced the TR 3, which I sold. (Ouch -just kicked
myself again).  I put studded snow tires on it and drove all over.  It
was still my only car.  In 1971, I go my first TR 6.  I missed the soft
top, the GT 6 always ran hot and was an oven inside.  The 6 was my only
car until 1979 when I decided to get a beater for the winter, just after
having lots of body and frame work done on the 6.  A month later the 6
was wrecked, and a few weeks after that I found a '73 TR 6 that had
never been on winter roads.  It still has not. 8-).  When Triumphs were
my only vehicles, I never had a problem in the winter.  Weight
distribution is about 60/40.  Traction is pretty good if you are easy on
the gas.  A manual transmission means extra control.  I even made it
home in the blizzard of '78.

Ron L