RE: dead short? TR3b

To: <bryant@sonic.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: dead short? TR3b
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:45:33 -0700
Welcome to the list, Bill.

> when ignition key is on, it is hot right to the starter, in fact when the
> ignition is ON EVERYTHING IS HOT!  The block, the fender, EVERTHING tests
> hot...
> I thought maybe my starter has shorted out??? but I am really stumped...
> btw...

George already asked this ... what did you have the other side of your
meter/test light connected to ???

If, as I suspect, it was the ground side of the battery, then you have a bad
connection between there and the body.  Check that the post under the clamp
is clean and bright, and that the clamp is tight on the post, not just on
itself.  It's not always obvious, but battery terminals are slightly
different sizes, with the positive terminal being slightly larger.  Your car
was originally positive ground, so if you've got the proper ground strap but
the car's been converted to negative ground, the ground strap clamp is too
large to properly grip the battery post.

Check the connection between the battery ground cable and the body.  It's
not unusual for it to corrode under the washer.  Paint is also a problem (as
it doesn't conduct very well), so a big 'external star' type lockwasher
between the ground cable and the body is a good idea.  The edges of the
washer will cut through the paint and make metal-to-metal contact.

If you don't find anything obvious, use your meter/light to trace down where
the problem is.  Start between the battery post and the engine block (with
the headlights on), which you've already said shows hot.  Move the probe
from the engine block closer to the battery (ie body, ground strap bolt,
ground strap, ground strap clamp, etc.) until you cross where it's no longer
hot.

> the fuses (both) are NOT blown.

Besides, the engine will start and run just fine WITHOUT the fuses.  One of
them is only for the horns, the other only protects the wiring to the wiper
motor, heater motor, etc.

Good luck, let us know if that doesn't work.
Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (back on the road, woo hoo!)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wanna be
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly