Clutch Disk

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Disk
From: "Terry" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:47:20 -0400
It's been awhile since I've installed a new clutch disk.  I picked one up off
E-Bay and when I received it today, inspected it.

It's new, and the materials look quality enough, although the material on the
face of the disk feels like hard plastic to the touch, but seems to have
fibers impregnated in it.

What concerns me is the clearance between the inset heads of the brass rivets
and the face of the disk, about 1/16th of an inch.  The disk I took off is
probably the original one, and it had closer to 1/8th inch depth to the
rivet.

The new disk is purportedly made by Raybestos.

Is this normal?  I seem to remember (in the 80's) thicker material comprising
the disk.  Or is the material so strong these days, wear is a minimal concern
(depending on whether one drives like my brother's brother).

Terry Smith
1959 TR3A