TR6 Transmission -- Opinions Wanted

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Transmission -- Opinions Wanted
From: Mike Himelfarb <mhimelfarb@shoppersdrugmart.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:24:34 -0400
I'm undecided whether or not to take a chance on this transmission for my TR6
and am looking for opinions.  Since it's in the UK I can't inspect it and
pictures don't tell much from the outside but the price may end up under $300
US:

                "Old Triumph 2.5 PI or TR6 gearbox with J-Type overdrive about
1975.  Checked and overhauled about 20 years ago, been in shed since.  S/N
25/115865 with horizontal solenoid.  Gear shift and clutch mechanism rusted but
will move so should be ok, just needs cleaning.  Don't know about O/D but main
shaft at the drive shaft connection will turn so gears are moving and not
seized.  It worked well when was still in car."

Opinions solicited and appreciated.

Mike Himelfarb.