Pistons/Liners/Rings

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pistons/Liners/Rings
From: "Terry" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:56:02 -0400
Omigod, he's not bringing all THAT up again, is he?

Not exactly.

I received my Mahle pistons/liners yesterday.  Difficult choice, since AE are
probably equally good.  (What put the Mahles over the top for me was visions
of the engineering that goes into play with the Autobahn in mind[sp?].  Of
course, if a Massachusetts firm made pistons/liners with Boston drivers in
mind, there would have been no contest!)

So the heart of my restoration arrived.  Everything in this frame off has been
a prelude to making the engine new again.  (Original crank and only had to go
10 under!)  And everything subsequent to the engine is aftermath.

So, do I really need to pull the pistons out of the liners to check the
orientation of the ring gaps, or can I pretty well trust that the factory pros
didn't insert them with the gaps all in a line?  I don't have a ring
compressor anymore, and don't want to go buy one if I don't have to.

Terry Smith
New Hampshire
1959 TR3A TS 58667...in pieces, but they're CLEAN pieces.