RE: Pistons/Liners/Rings

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pistons/Liners/Rings
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:57:35 -0700
> So, do I really need to pull the pistons out of the liners to check the
> orientation of the ring gaps, or can I pretty well trust that the
> factory pros
> didn't insert them with the gaps all in a line?  I don't have a ring
> compressor anymore, and don't want to go buy one if I don't have to.

Are you saying you received the liner set with the pistons already assembled
to the rods and inserted in the liners ???

I've got to say, as much as those components cost and as many mistakes as
I've seen (engine builders are people too, even the best of them make
mistakes sometimes) ... I'd sure invest $20 in a ring compressor !  If you
really can't pry out a Jackson, it's possible to make do with 2 or 3 big
hose clamps threaded together.

Don't just check the ring orientation, also check the end gaps, and the
clearances between the rings and piston lands.  Oil them up good when you
reassemble, don't want any dry starts ...

Randall