RE: markings question TR4 (Triumph SCT-65)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: markings question TR4 (Triumph SCT-65)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:22:28 -0800
> When I pulled out the converter there was a plate rivited
> with Triumph STC-65 stamped on it.

Hmm, I don't recall seeing a reply to this.  The plate was added to cars
from about 1962 through 1966 or so, when they were sold as later model cars
than when they were built.  Thus, your car was likely built before Sept 64
(start of the 1965 model year in the US), but sold as a 1965 model.  I
believe the consensus was that this was only legally required for cars sold
in California, but was done to most cars sold in the western US and perhaps
parts of Canada and Mexico, perhaps because they came in through California.

So for example, my Sports 6 was built in early to mid 1963 but not sold
until 1965, it bears a STC-65 tag and the paperwork has 1965 as "year first
sold".

I'm not sure when this practice ended, but it eventually became illegal to
sell a car as a later model year than when it was made.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Randall