noise diagnosis question

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: noise diagnosis question
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:18:55 -0500
After a bunch of work on U-joints and differential replacement, my Spit now is
making an unholy racket due to some leak in the exhaust system.  I used a tube
in my ear to track the worst noise to just under the center of the exhaust
header, right at the point where the manifold bolts to the head.  Hoping that
it was just the manifold gasket, I replaced that yesterday.  However, the old
gasket looked fine, and the new one didn't help at all.  So now I am thinking
that it may be the head gasket.  I don't see any evidence of a hole in the
exhaust header.  My compression readings front to back are:  125, 120, 110,
125.  Power seems to be pretty good, but the noise is deafening.  Have I
narrowed it to the head gasket, or is there some other possibility I am missing?

Thanks for any help or confirmation you can privide.

Tim