RE: early OD...again

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: early OD...again
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:41:49 -0800
> Another question....the unit I got had been sitting in the bone
> yard for several years and was badly rusted. When I tried to
> remove the cap that covers the shift lever, I broke the neck of
> the transmission cover right off.
> Can I retap the holes for the lockout switches (the bosses are
> cast in)and swap covers with my existing non OD later tranny?
> Should I try to weld it?

I'd sure try the first option first, welding is apt to cause more trouble
than it's worth.  The switches are an oddball metric thread, you'll most
likely have to buy a special tap.

If both transmissions are not either 3-synchro or 4-synchro; you'll need to
do more parts swapping between the covers.  The cover castings are the same,
but the forks and rods are not.  It's not terribly hard to do (I'm running a
TR6 box with an early TR3 cover) but does require complete disassembly of
the cover.

One other pitfall, the later covers aren't drilled for the dipstick, and the
early transmissions don't have the fill plug in the side.  I wanted to keep
my dipstick, which is why I'm running an early cover, but AFAIK the later
covers could be drilled.

Randall