RE: TR Valves

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR Valves
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 06:48:18 -0800
> 3. I have heard of installing valve seals on the TR engine. Is it a wasted
> effort? where do you obtain them ?

Matter of opinion ... I feel they are counterproductive as they remove
lubrication to the guides and promote rapid wear.  I was able to buy them at
the local "high performance shop", by taking them the diameter of the stem
and guides.  (I used them only as a stop-gap measure on a head that already
had severely worn guides.)

> 4. One of my engines has the 3/8 inch valve stems. Should I go
> head and use
> the guides that allow use of 5/16 inch stem valves or stick with the 3/8
> inch replacements ?

IMO the 5/16" stems are superior in every way.  If you're going to replace
the valves anyway, this is the way to go.

> Any other suggestions while I have the checkbook out?

Hardened exhaust seats.  Either have the springs tested or just replace
them, they're almost certainly tired.  Check the head surface for flatness
(if you haven't already).

If you're using larger than stock liners, consider cutting away the shroud
in the combustion chamber over the intake valve to match the edge of the
liner.  You don't have to go to the lengths suggested in the Comp Prep
handbook (cutting back both the shroud and the liner), but just getting rid
of that shelf hanging out will help reduce the tendency to knock and
probably get both better power and better fuel mileage.

Randall