speedo cables

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: speedo cables
From: "Alan Salvatore" <asalvato@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:29:14 -0500
Cc: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
A friend of mine back in 72 or 73 bought a new tr6.
6 months later his speedo cable broke and he was all bent out of shape
because
the car was out of warrenty, and  the dealer wanted $100 or so dollars to
fix it. which was
big money back then.  He was so mad he sold the car. At the time I thought
it was kind of
funny.
Today , I started to fix my speedo around 12:00 this afternoon. After
pulling the interior:
seats, center console , radio, armrest, tunnel cover, replacing right angle
drive, finally getting
the short cable to the service counter to stop binding (don't tighten the
cable completly into the
speedometer, and "grease it good" (Jim Davis) and "angle the counter"
(thanks to Dave at TRF).
After putting everything back in, the car was ready to roll at 5:30.
The good news, its the smoothest operating triumph speedometer I've ever
seen.
Bad news, the new service counter, doesn't count, but it looks good.  LOL
You've got to have a sense of humor.
Next day off maybe I'll tackle a rear hub.

Al Salvatore
76tr6 daily